Happy Frugal Frog Friday
Today I am posting about a delicious, healthy, and frugal meal–probably one of my favorite meals ever–CHILI! This chili can be quickly assembled and cooked in the slow cooker while you are at work or while you are enjoying your Saturday. It tastes particularly good on these cold and rainy days that we have been having in Pennsylvania.
For all my non-Paleo readers, you can easily add a can of kidney or black beans if you like beans in your chili. Instead of beans, I chopped up pieces of carrots and celery and they gave the consistency of beans (and boosted the veggie count!). I like spicy chili so I add cayenne pepper; however, if you prefer a more mild flavor you can just leave it out!
While some may like shredded cheese on top, avocado is my topping of choice. It adds a creamy flavor and provides a perfect counter to the SPICE of the chili. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a nice dose of healthy fat!
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onion ($.50)
1 lb lean ground beef ($4.92)
1) Saute onion and ground beef until the meat is cooked. Pour it into a slow cooker.
2) Pour 2 (28oz cans) Crushed Tomatoes and 1 (6oz can) tomato sauce into the slow cooker over the meat. ($1.80)
3) Add 1 cup chopped celery and 1 cup chopped carrots ($.99)
4) Add spices:
2 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Ground Mustard
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
5) Mix all ingredients and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours
6) Garnish with avocado and love every single bite!
This meal cost less than $10 and serves 6–totally frugal frog and completely delicious!